Release: June 13, 2003
Director: Kim Jee-Woon
Producer: Oh Ki-Min, Oh Jung-Wan
Writer: Kim Jee-Woon
Country: South Korea
A Tale of Two Sisters
Soo-Mi (Lim Soo-Jung) and Su-Yeon (Moon Geun-Young) return home after an extended illness and hospital stay. Things have not been the same since their mother passed away. Their return is welcomed by their stepmother Eun-Joo (Yum Jung-Ah). It’s evident that Soo-Mi, the older and stronger of the two, isn’t afraid to speak her mind when it comes to their family troubles. Su-Yeon is more timid and wary of their stepmother and looks to Soo-Mi for help. Continually picked on and harassed by their stepmother, the two have no choice but to endure the relationship for their father’s sake. Soo-Mi promises Su-Yeon that she will never let their stepmother beat them again. Unexplainable things start to occur at the house. Something has changed, no one knows what it is, but the sisters can feel it.
- Based on the Joseon-era Korean folktale "Janghwa Hongreyon jeon".
- Other films based on the same "Janghwa Hongryeon jeon" tale:
- Janghwa Hongryeonjeon (1972)
- Dae Jang-hwa Hong-ryeon jeon (1962)
- Janghwa Heungryeonjeon (1956)
- Story of Jang-hwa and Hong-ryeon (1936)
- Jang-hwa and Hong-ryeon (1924)